Victorian Bushfire Appeal

| Monday, February 9, 2009

I have been devastated by the dreadful Bushfires raging over in Victoria. I may not know anyone personally over there affected, but the massive scale of the tragedy has touched me so fiercely. I feel incredibly helpless being here in WA, all I want to do at the moment is go and make sandwiches and give people hugs.

With a current deathtoll of 108, and predictions that will rise significantly in the next few days, plus the realisation that some families have no only lost loved ones, but EVERYTHING they own is incredibly humbling. Makes our lives seem very insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

The only two practical things we in Western Australia can do is Donate money to the Red Cross Bushfire Appeal and Blood to the Red Cross Bloodbank. I'm sure they will be needing HEAPS of both in the coming days.

visit http://www.redcross.org.au/ to make donations. keep in mind there is really heavy traffic on this site, so you may need to try a few times. We have donated, both from the Business and from John and I personally, and i really URGE everyone to dig as deep as possible to help out these families. Imagine if YOU lost everything you owned and just think how these people are feeling.

To the wonderful Fire Fighters in Victoria, and those who have come from NSW, OLD, SA and New Zealand, Thankyou for your efforts. You guys are amazing.

To the unmentionable B*****D who deliberately lit these fires....There are no words to describe the anger I feel towards you.

And to our Prime Mister Kevin Rudd, who i saw on 'Today' this morning...you are just fabulous. Poor guy was practically in tears during his interview. I really hope he takes the $42billion Stimulus Package and gives it to these poor victims. They certainly need it more than I need $950 to buy a new TV.

**Update**

Ive just come back form donating blood, and they said that while they have been inundated by offers for donations, they need more! The poor burn victims of the fires will be needing massive amounts of blood and blood byproducts, so even if it freaks you out to give blood, your small sacrifice and inconvenience is nothing compared to the poor souls who have lost everything.

I tried calling this morning to make an appointment, but the lines were busy....so i just went down there and they slotted me in. Please make sure you go :)

http://www.donateblood.com.au/

Im A+...just in case your interested ;)

1 Fabulous Comments!:

jessp said...

I'm mildly poor, but I'm going to donate blood. The letter from the blood bank this morning was a like a big, 'nudge-nudge'. I'm glad people like you and John are digging deep to help them :)