WA Professional Photographer Awards

| Sunday, September 6, 2009

Ive spent this past week up in The Big Smoke spending time with some of my Photog mates, at the WAPPA's - The state awards for the AIPP. Its great seeing what other people are up to, being inspired by your fellow photographers work, doing the whole "how the hell do they do THAT?" and scratching your head unmercifully trying to work out why one print gets 75 and another gets 86 when you just cant see the difference :)

I entered in the Portrait and Wedding categories, and I finally cracked the glass ceiling that is a Silver Award!! These are the images I entered. The WAPPA's are judged as "portfolios" so as a group of 3 images, and then a single image from the portfolio is judged separately.

Wedding - I went for a Photojournalistic approach

Photobucket

Photobucket

This image received a Silver - score of 82! So Happy :) The judges thought it was adorable....

Photobucket


Portrait - I was going for a Maternity theme.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was the individually judged print - It received 78, and I think i was a bit duped....because the judging panel was mostly male - AND THEY JUST DIDN'T GET IT LOL Im sure every pregnant lady has felt like THIS once in a while :) Its not your avarage maternity image, but I wanted to show a different side of it.

Photobucket

I think the biggest thing im proud of, besides the Silver score of course - is that im sticking true to my style of photography. It may not be the style that gets all the Gold Distinctions, but its true to me, and my work and my personality. Its very easy to get stuck into the mindset of "I will copy what 'They' are doing so everyone will like me" Its just like peer pressure in Highschool. Staying true to yourself is the only way anyone can be truly happy.

1 Fabulous Comments!:

Dani said...

Congrats Clare on your awards.....I'm in Awe!! Beautiful work as usual.